A few weeks have past and I ‘m still excited about my private session with Tyler Perry’s “The Haves and the Have Nots” and “Love Thy Neighbor” cast! “The Haves and the Have Nots” premieres TONIGHT at 9pm ET/PT’ and “Love Thy Neighbor premieres Wed, May 29 at 9pm ET/PT on OWN.
Here’s 5 takeaways from my awesome interview with some of the cast members:
1. This is the first scripted series on OWN and it’s based on Tyler Perry’s 2011 play The Haves and the Have Nots. The show highlights REAL problems faced by everyday people, not like a soap opera.
2. The cast talked about their day to day training & taping. To our astonishment… they completed 16 shows in 22 days! Palmer Williams from Love Thy Neighbor said, “We trained as we go… but Tyler was there to help and guide us every step of the way.”
3. I was a “Dukes of Hazzard” fan back in the days & couldn’t help but ask John Schneider… “Do you feel any pressure to keep up the “heart throbbing appearances?” John: I can’t compete! Have you seen my son from the cast and some of the other young good looking guys? I don’t feel the pressure at all!” Some of the other cast members chimed in and assured us that John stays in great shape and will give us a NICE surprise during a HOT scene in Episode 3!!
4. Tika plays quite the villain in this series and was asked about her steamy & sexy roles as Candace. Tika: Oh yes, I was a little comprehensive on some of the clothing or LESS clothing! John is her love interest in the series and mentioned Tyler Perry was extremely protective of Tika and treated her like a sister.
5. From the cast: Tyler & Oprah were both proud of what was done and the audience will NOT be disappointed.
The cast was asked to give advice for newbies and I will never forget this quote from John Schneider: Take advantage of ALL experiences… If God is for it, NO experience in life will become “unhandy”.
I would like to give a special thanks to 135th Street Agency for the wonderful invite & hospitality!
Check out the preview & be sure to tune in TONIGHT!!